Residential Recycling, Yard Waste & Garbage Services
Recology San Bruno specializes in resource recovery programs and provides recycling, composting and garbage services to single family and multi-family homes.
Resource recovery is more important than ever before. To preserve our natural resources, we work to close the loop on organic and recyclable materials by diverting them from going to landfills. Whether you are looking for recycling and compost services or garbage collection, Recology San Bruno provides a range of options to you.
Recycling is more important today than it has ever been before. In order to keep our communities safe and clean, we all must pitch in to help recycle and reuse as much as possible.
We provide a convenient, single stream curbside recycling collection program which eliminates the need to sort recyclables. This service is free to all residential customers with their regular garbage collection.
Acceptable Recycling Materials
Only place recyclable materials into your recycling container!
Please rinse food and beverage containers and crush plastics.
Aseptic Containers Aseptic containers are sterile cardboard containers with a metallic or foil liner. Aseptic containers are used to preserve food.
Glass All colors of beverage and food containers
Aluminum & Bi-Metal
Unacceptable Recycling Materials
Reminder: Your yard waste is collected every other week. Use your green, 96-gallon container for yard waste only. Place grass clippings, leaves, and small branches in your green yard waste container.
Acceptable Green Waste
Only place yard waste materials into your green container!
Accepted Yard Waste
Important Green Waste Notes!
Unacceptable Green Waste Materials
|Household Hazardous Waste
- All garbage and recycling containers must be left at the curb by 6:00am on your service day.
- We are not responsible for any articles left on or near collection containers.
- Please report any missed collections to our office by the following business day.
- Please put your garbage in bags before placing in your container, to help prevent loose trash from falling out on windy days or when the container is emptied.
- Extra Garbage must be bagged and arrangements made with our office in advance for pickup.
- For your convenience, Extra Bag Tags are also available and allow you to put out extra garbage on your regular service day without having to call ahead. To purchase Extra Bag Tags contact Recology San Bruno, or the City of San Bruno Utility Billing Division at (650) 616-7086.
Acceptable Garbage Materials
Unacceptable Garbage Material
|Hot Ashes or Coals
Household Hazardous Waste
Toter Bin Information
Three service levels are available at Recology San Bruno The size of your garbage container determines your monthly service rate. Here are the three container sizes:
Reminder: The more you can recycle, the less garbage service you will need!
Special Collection Programs
Recology San Bruno offers a special pickup service for large or bulky items from your curbside. Couches, mattresses and washing machines are examples of bulky items which are too large to be disposed of with your normal collection.
Each collection is limited to 3 cubic yards (3ft x 3ft x 9ft) and must be scheduled 24hours or more in advance for your regular service day. If you wish to use both of your collections on the same day you may request that at the time of scheduling. (For yard waste collection, please use heavy duty paper bags or cardboard boxes...not loose or on tarps.)
NOTE: Weight limits may apply and acceptability of items is at the discretion of the driver. Also, Hazardous items are not accepted curbside. Please click here for recycling and disposal information.
For more information or to schedule an On-Call Collection, please contact our customer service department.
Extra Bag Tags
Extra Garbage must be bagged and arrangements made with our office in advance for pickup. For your convenience, Extra Bag Tags are also available and allow you to put out extra garbage on your regular service day without having to call ahead. To purchase Extra Bag Tags call a Recology San Bruno Customer Service Representative at (650) 583-8536, or the City of San Bruno Utility Billing Division at (650) 616-7086.
Who is part of the Organics Pilot?
In early June 2013, a handful of residential customers received a letter asking for their participation in the Residential Organics Pilot Program. These customers have been choosen at random to help Recology San Bruno and the City of San Bruno capture helpful data and provide program insight prior to the upcoming Organics Program beginning city-wide on January 1, 2014.
If you have been chosen to participate and would like to Opt-Out of the program, please either give us a call at 650-583-8536 or click here to use the online Contact Us feature.
Organics Pilot Program Details...
Kitchen pails will be delivered to each participating household by Friday, July 12th and the program will begin Monday, July 15th.
Your service day will NOT change (i.e. if your service day is Monday it will remain Monday, if your service day is Tuesday it will remain Tuesday, etc.) however beginning the week of July 15, 2013 your GREEN cart will be serviced on a WEEKLY basis. Please be sure to set out your green cart curbside by 6am EVERY week on your regular service day for pick-up.
Please read the information below for an overview of the Organics Program. If you have any questions, feel free to contact Customer Service at 650-583-8536 or click here to use the online Contact Us feature.
We thank you for your participation and hope you too find the program as successful and rewarding as we do!
Compost Information for Single Family Residents - Pilot Customers Only
Don't send your food scraps and landscape material to the landfill; compost them instead! Other than being the environmentally friendly thing to do, most residents who participate in the compost collection program see a significant decrease in their garbage. So put your food scraps in the Compost cart instead of the Garbage cart, and help us all achieve Waste Zero!We accept all food scraps, soiled paper and yard trimmings in the green cart.
Composting is a highly effective way to help protect the environment, and Recology San Bruno is proud to offer a home composting collection service to select customers. More than six million tons of food products are dumped in California every year. Food is the largest single source of waste in California, making up 15.5 percent of the waste stream.That waste decomposes and creates methane gas, which is 23 times more potent than carbon dioxide and is directly attributed to climate change. Composting is nature's way of recycling organic waste into a new soil amendment rich in nutrients that can be used for organic farming, vineyards and highway erosion and control projects. Source: California Watch
You CAN Compost:
Soiled Paper Products
Try any of the following to help reduce the "Ick Factor":
- Place paper towels or newspaper at the bottom of your kitchen pail to soak up any liquids from your food.
- Line your kitchen pail with bags (any disposabale kind). Just be sure to empty the food scraps out of the bags when placing into your green cart.
- Wrap your food scraps in newspaper or a cardboard milk carton before placing into your kitchen pail.
- Try refrigerating or freezing your food scraps in a ziplock or other plastic bag and empty the bag into your green cart the night before your service day. This will stop the decomposition of the food and will reduce or stop the smell of rotten food. Remember, you can reuse the bag multiple times!
Try any of the following to keep raccoons at bay:
- You can repel raccoons with cayenne pepper, which is found at just about any grocery store. Raccoons have a highly sensitive sense of smell and strongly dislike the scent - they will usually avoid it as much as possible. Sprinkle ground cayenne pepper on top of or around your cart.
- You can also make a homemade liquid repellent. Boil a quart of water, 1/3 cup of cayenne pepper, and a diced jalapeno pepper for about 20 minutes. Cool and strain, then pour the mixture into an empty spray bottle and spray around your cart.
- Commercial organic raccoon repellent products are available for purchase at some pet stores and online. Sprinkle the granules around your carts to keep them away.
- Sprinkle the top of your carts with baby powder, or even sand. Raccoons don't like the feel of powder or sand on their paws and might avoid the area if they detect any around.
- Large, heavy rocks can be placed on top of your green cart to help weigh it down so it can not be knocked over as easily. To avoid damange to surrounding vehichles or animals, please remove the rock before your cart is serviced.
- You can also use bungie cords to keep the lid from opening if the cart is knocked over however we ask that you remove the bungie cord by 6am the morning of your service day.
- Try using motion sensors that activate lights to scare them off.
Raccoons are intelligent animals. If they're unsuccessful at the first attempts to get food at a particular location, they will most likely stay away and look for other sources. Remember to please be careful with raccoons. They can be dangerous if provoked and often carry diseases. Never approach one for any reason. Harming or trapping a raccoon is both illegal and dangerous.
The following PDF document can be printed for easy reference. You will need the free Acrobat Reader to view these files.
- Organics Flyer (Kitchen Pail Insert)
The following PDF documents can be printed for easy reference. You will need the free Acrobat Reader to view these files.
Americans with Disabilities Act
Pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, those residents defined as disabled, and whose disability prevents their placing containers at the curbside, shall have the option of placing their containers near their dwelling, visible from curbside. Recology San Bruno will pick up the refuse from this location, or any other location suitable to both parties, and return your container to the same location.
To help keep usable items out the landfill, which helps preserve our environment, please consider joining San Bruno's Freecycle Group.
This online group gives residents and businesses another resource for reuse within our community. All items posted on the website must be FREE. So if you have something to give or perhaps there is something you need, Freecycle may be just the answer.
To learn more, visit the Freecycle website.